Friday, January 14, 2011

Homemade: Burp Rags!

I found a pattern for burp rags online and decided to give it a go. I bought some fun girly prints, as I'm always subject to boy prints! I thought I'd sell or give these away to friends with girls. The instructions are easy enough. I think it really depends on the fabric. Is it just me or is minky fabric SO hard to work with? It moves all over the place!
Here are the instructions:
  • Cut a square, or rectangle of  two pieces of fabric. One side can be 100% cotton or fleece fabric, backed with pretty much any type of cozy fabric including Minky, terry, or chenille fabric. A pretty standard size is 9x16.
  • Put the right sides together and sew a straight stitch all the way around, leaving a 2-3 inch gap. 
  • Turn inside out.
  • Iron fabric, fold in gap you left open.
  • Top stitch all the way around. This will close your burp cloth in the section that was left open as well.
  • Done!
FYI I found it very hard to work with minky fabric, it was SO silky, it moves around a lot. My next batch, I am going to try terry or chenille. I think it may be a LOT easier to work with!

Here's what I ended up with. I plan to improve and make more throughout the year in lots of fun prints, and maybe, just maybe do a craft show with some blankets, burp rags, and washcloths/wipes in the fall!

No comments: